A GLOBALISED GUIDE TO THE BEST IN FOOD: COOKING IT, EATING IT AND ENJOYING IT!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Risotto Cakes


So you’ve cooked risotto and there’s some left over - despite you having over-indulged massively, which is how risotto nights always turn out in my experience. Despite my best efforts to be a reasonable consumer of this most unctuous of rice dishes, I always overdo it. But I always fall victim to my own innate greed and make too much. Catch 22 for fatties.

Freeze it. When the time comes, defrost it and make little balls of risotto and then flatten them into patties (I’ve actually used a falafel maker for this, which works quite well but I have to confess it was a meretricious application of Levantine food technology. You can use your hands).

Dip each patty into a mixture of breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper. Slip a good spludge of olive oil into a small pan and fry off the patties, taking care not to turn them too early or mess about with them too much as they are sort of friable as well as being fry-able.

I serve them with a delicious Italian sweet chili pickle I picked up at the Organic. You can serve ‘em with any sort of contrasting tomatoey condiment you like. Or maybe a spiced peach salsa. Now there’s an idea…

Warning, this idea doesn't work with HMHB's Creamy Risotto With Prawns. The prawns stick out of the cakes...

1 comment:

Naima said...

OMG ... how did I not peruse this blog before??? Where have I been?? Obviously hungry and not eating well. This sounds so delicious. Will have to run home and MAKE leftovers to try it.

And the picture ...!

-naima