A GLOBALISED GUIDE TO THE BEST IN FOOD: COOKING IT, EATING IT AND ENJOYING IT!

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Raman's Pudding

Raman was quite a small man, physically: an accountant by trade and the man who looked after my ineffably thick sponsor when I first moved to Dubai. And boy did he take some looking after. I always thought that the kid's dad, the head of one of Dubai's bigger families, had hired Raman just to make sure his son didn't do anything too daft. I liked Raman who was an educated, smart and (within reason) moral man. This is his pudding: I nicked the recipe from his delightful wife, who told me that this recipe is so easy that even Raman could make it. It's quite sweet, India having a sweet tooth in general, but it's really nice.

Raman left Dubai, accused of cooking the books on charges that some thought were trumped up. I thought that he was quite likely set up: he was as incapable of cooking the books as he was of cooking more than this pudding. He had a dislike of 'crudity' in business.

Ingredients
  • 400g sweetened condensed milk
  • 500g yoghurt
  • 3 cardamoms
  • 10 strands saffron

Remove the seeds from the cardamoms and grind them. Mix the condensed milk and the yoghurt together, and sprinkle with the cardamom seed and saffron. Chill for three hours to set, and serve. And yes, that is it.

No comments: